- Board certified psychiatrist, psychoanalyst and couple therapist.
- Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine where he teaches psychiatry residents.
- Faculty member at the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis where he teaches courses on psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic couples therapy.
- Faculty member at Northwestern's Family Institute in Evanston where for many years, he has been the coordinator of “Marriage 101: Building Loving and Lasting Relationships,” the popular for credit course he developed for Northwestern undergraduates.
- Distinguished Fellow of The American Psychiatric Association.
- Author of thirty-some published professional papers in the fields of psychiatry, psychoanalysis, and education, including a recently completed textbook published by Routledge: A Roadmap for Couple Therapy: Integrating Systemic, Psychodynamic, and Behavioral Approaches.
▾ Education and Certification
1968 B.A. – Magna Cum Laude, Harvard College, Department of Social Studies
1972 M.D. – Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
1972 - 1973 Rotating Intern – University of Southern California--Los Angeles County Medical Center
1973 - 1976 Psychiatric Resident – Yale University School of Medicine
January 1977 - June 1977 – Postdoctoral Fellow – Yale University Student Health Clinic, Division of Mental Hygiene
September 1978 - May 1979 - Extern – Family Therapy Training Program, Philadelphia Child Guidance Clinic
1984-1992 – Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis; Diploma
Certification: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (Psychiatry), 1978
▾ Positions and Professional Societies
November 1983 - Present – Full-time private practice of psychiatry, and Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University.
September 1980 - Present – Faculty, The Family Institute at Northwestern University
September 1994 - Present – Faculty, Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy
April 2001 - Present – Adjunct Faculty, Northwestern University School of Education and Social Policy
February 1980 - November 1983 – Assistant Professor and Assistant Director of Graduate Psychiatric Education Northwestern Universitye Medical School
August 1977 - November 1983 – Private practice of psychiatry, Bethesda, Maryland (Part-Time)
July 1977 - February 1980 – Staff Psychiatrist, Psychiatry Education Branch Division of Manpower and Training Programs National Institute of Mental Health
August 1977 - February 1980 – Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry George Washington University Medical School
American Psychiatric Association; Fellow 1987, Distinguished Fellow 2003
American Psychoanalytic Association
American Family Therapy Academy
Chicago Center for the Study of Groups and Organizations of the A.K. Rice Institute (CCSGO - AKRI) (Founding Board Member and Secretary, 1989-1991)
American College of Psychoanalysis (1995-2003)
Eagle Scout and Order of the Arrow, 1960
Harvard College Honorary Scholarships, for academic excellence, 1965-1968
Boston Marathon, 1968
▾ Community Service, Teaching and Presentations
Committees, Consultations, Community Service:
- Journal Reviewer:
- American Journal of Psychotherapy: 1979
- American Journal of Psychiatry: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987,1988, 1989, 1990
- Annals of Internal Medicine: 1982, 1985
- Annual of Psychoanalysis: 1995
- Archives of General Psychiatry: 1981
- *Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice: 2016
- Family Process: 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016
- General Hospital Psychiatry: 1978, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984
- International Journal of Psycho-analysis: 2008
- Journal of American Medical Association: 1988
- Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Assoc: 2001
- Psychiatric Services (Hospital and Community Psychiatry): 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2000, 2001
- Psychosomatics: 1983, 1984, 1984, 1986, 1989*
- Editorial Board
- Family Process,2016 - present
- Book reviewer
- American Journal of Psychiatry: 1994,1996
- Chicago Psychoanalytic Institute Bulletin: 1994
- Clinical Psychiatry News: 2013
- Psychoanalytic Psychology: 1995
- Sage Publications: 2014.
- The Family Institute at Northwestern University
- Board of Directors, member: 2011—present
- Subcommittee on the STIC: 2011—present
- Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis
- Research Committee, 1991 – 1998; 2005 – present.
- Editorial Board, The Institute for Psychoanalysis Bulletin, 1993 - 1995
- Curriculum Committee, 1996 – 2000
- Adult Psychotherapy Program
- Planning Committee, 2000 – 2011
- Supervisor, 2000 – present
- Committee on Committees, 2001 – 2003
- Chair 2002-2003
- Psychoanalytic Education Council, 2002 – 2003
- Chicago Psychoanalytic Society
- Recorder (summarizing scientific presentations), 1991-1992; 1992-1993
- Program Committee: 1993-4; 2007-8; 2011-13
- Regional Meeting Committee: 1993
- Joint Society-Institute Committee on Public Relations, 1994 - 1996
- Nominating Committee, 1996; 2000
- Mentor to psychiatric residents, 2003-4; 2010-11
- Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University Dept. of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
- Residency Curriculum Committee, 1980-1984; 1988-1989
- First Year Advisors' Committee, 1980-1984
- Outpatient Department, Clinical Coordinators' Committee, 1980-1983
- Department Research Committee, 1980-1983
- Department Distinguished Lecture Series Committee, 1988-1990
- Contributed Services Faculty Committee, 2009—present
- Harvard College
- Admissions interviewer: 2010—present
- American Psychoanalytic Association
- Ad Hoc Committee to Study Certification: 2002
- Ad Hoc Committee on Psychotherapy Training: 2004-2007.
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- 25th Reunion Fundraising Committee, 1997.
- Chicago Bar Association,
- Young Lawyer's Section Psychological Counseling Project. One of four psychiatric psychoanalysts who provided pro bono psychiatric consultations, 1995 - 1998.
- Tavistock Group Relations Conferences, study group or large group consultant,
- CEGO Conference (Hartford Ct): 1976
- Northwestern Conferences: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 (Associate Director), 1990 (Associate Director); 1993 (Associate Director); 1995; 1996; 1997
- University of Chicago Conferences: 1988, 1991, 1993
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Consultant and Site Visitor, Psychiatry Education Branch Initial Review Group of National Institute of Mental Health, 1981
- Planned Parenthood of Chicago
- Medical Advisory Board, 1980-1984
- Family Focus, Inc. (nonprofit agency for high-risk or new mothers),
- Board Member: 1980-1985
- NIMH National Conference on Recruitment to Psychiatry
- Consultant and participant, The Career Choice of Psychiatry, San Antonio, March 7-8, 1980
- Community Crisis Center of Montgomery County
- Psychiatric Consultant, October 1979-February 1980
- American Psychiatric Association
- Committee on the Chronic Mental Patient, September 1979-June 1980
- Massachusetts Department of Mental Health
- Consultant to Task Force on Training Standards, September 1979-December 1980
- Montgomery County, Maryland Health Department
- Consultant and Family Therapy Supervisor, Youth and Family Counseling Program, June 1979 - February 1980
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Examiner, Chicago, October 1979; Milwaukee, June 1980; Chicago, November 1982 Educational consultation to U.S. Departments of Psychiatry from Psychiatry Education Branch, 1977-1980
- Yale Department of Psychiatry
- Administrative consultant to West Haven School System on the problem of truancy, October 1974 - February 1976
- Psychiatric representative to USC-LAC House Staff Council, 1972-1973
- Yale Graduate Training Committee, 1973-1974, 1974-1975
- Yale First Year Module Committee, 1974-1975
- Social Chairman, Yale Psychiatric Resident’s Association, 1974-1975
- DSM-III field trials, therapist-diagnostician, Yale University Student Mental Health Clinic, Spring 1977
- New Haven Area Protective Services
- Case consultant, January-December 1975
- West Haven Community House
- Case and program consultant to for Adolescent Group Therapy Program, June 1974-May 1975
- Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis
- Fellowship Mentor and supervisor, Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis Fellowship Program, 2003-2004; 2005-2006; 2010-present.
- Individual Psychotherapy Supervision, Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis Psychotherapy Program, 2001—present.
- Course: “The Three Domains of Psychoanalytic Research” to third year psychoanalytic candidates at the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis, Spring 2015.
- Course: "Psychoanalytic Research", sequential, three quarter course to first, second, and third year candidates at Institute for Psychoanalysis, with B. Cohler and R. Galatzer-Levy: April-June 1995 (Part 1); January-March 1996 (Part 2); September-December 1996 (Part 3); Solo teaching of Part I: April-June 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011.
- Course: “Psychoanalytic Couples Therapy,” to faculty and candidates at The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis, Fall 2009; Winter 2013; Winter 2017
- Course: “Advanced Object Relations Theory and Severe Personality Disorders,” eleven-week course to second year students in the Chicago Psychoanalytic Institute's Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program: April-June 1997; January-March 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006.
- Course: “Psychoanalytic Marital Therapy,” Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis Extension Program, spring 1990
- Clinical Case Conference to third year students in the Chicago Psychoanalytic Institute's Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program, April-June 1998.
- Discussion group leader: Seventeenth Biennial Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Conference of the Chicago Psychoanalytic Institute: “The Therapeutic Emotional Connection, “February 24, 2001.
- Discussion group leader: Fourteenth Regional Conference of the Chicago Psychoanalytic Society: “About Eating Disorders,” March 12-13, 1994
- Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University Dept. of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
- Individual psychotherapy supervision of psychiatry residents: 1980—present.
- Diagnostic Interviewing Demonstration to Northwestern Psychiatric Residents: 11/7/94.
- “Marital and Family Therapy”, lecture-seminars to Northwestern Third-Year Psychiatric Residents, April 11 and 25, 1994; to Second Year Psychiatric Residents, Sept 28 & Oct 5, 1994
- Diagnostic Assessment and Clinical Interviewing Course, Northwestern Second Year Residents: January - December in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993; January-July in 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
- Research Methodology and Current Psychiatric Literature, Northwestern residents, July - December 1980, July - December 1981, July - December 1982, January-June 1984; July-October 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988
- Family Therapy Supervision Group, Northwestern Second Year Residents, April 1983-December 1983
- Northwestern Psychiatry Residents' Journal Club, 1981-1988
- Course organizer and coordinator, General Psychiatry Study Group, Saturday morning CME course of NU Department of Psychiatry, 1980-1981
- Outpatient Diagnostic, Psychotherapy, and Videotape Seminar, Northwestern Residents, January-June 1982
- Family Assessment of Hospitalized Psychiatric Patients, Northwestern First Year Residents, Seminar (with Larry Feldman, M.D.) January-June 1983; (solo) July-September 1984, 1985, 1986
- Diagnostic Case Conference, Northwestern 3rd Year Medical Students, once every 6 weeks, January 1991-July 1993
- Family Therapy Direct Observation Seminar to Northwestern 2nd and 3rd Year Residents and Psychology Residents, with William Pinsof, Ph.D., Fall 1980
- The Family Institute at Northwestern University
- Supervisor: The STIC Consultation Group, 2016--present
- Two-Year Training Program Supervision Group Leader:1980-1981, 1981-1982, 1982-1983.
- Northwestern University Undergraduates
- Independent study course to develop the “Intimate Relations Education Program” (IREP), to Northwestern University undergraduate students at the Family Institute of Chicago, 1st & 2nd quarters, 1999. Co-taught with William Pinsof, Ph.D., Director of the Family Institute.
- Undergraduate course, “Marriage 101: Building Loving and Lasting Partnerships,” to Northwestern University undergraduates, program creator, co-coordinator and principal lecturer: April-June 2001; September- December 2001; January-March 2003; January-March 2004; April-June 2005; January-March 2006; January-March 2007; January- March 2008; January-March 2009; January-March 2010; April-May 2011; April-May 2012. Lecturer only: April-May 2013, April-May 2014; April-May 2015.
- American Psychoanalytic Association
- Discussion Group co-chair with Len Horwitz, “How Scientific is Psychoanalysis?”, at annual, national meetings of the American Psychoanalytic Assoc.: NYC, Dec. 2000; Philadelphia, May 2002; NYC, Jan. 2003, 2004, 2005; (Solo Chair subsequently) Jan. 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010; 2012.
- George Washington University Medical School
- Psychopathology course to second year George Washington (GW) medical students, section leader and lecturer to total group, Fall 1977
- Individual supervision to GW psychiatric residents, 1978-1980.
- Clinical Interviewing Course to second year GW medical students, section leader, spring 1978, spring 1979
- Consultation/Liaison supervisor to third year GW psychiatry clerks, summer 1978
- “Introduction to the Individual Psychotherapies” to PGY3 and PGY4 GW residents, summer 1978, spring 1979
- “Basic concepts in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy” to PGY3 and PGY4 GW residents, fall 1978, summer 1979
- Yale University Department of Psychiatry
- “Psychiatry 101” to first year Yale medical students, section leader, 1974-1975
- Guest lecturer to Social Problems Course, Mattatuck Community College, fall 1975
- Truancy Workshops for West Haven School Administrators, January 1976
- Psychiatric Clerkship Course to Yale Medical Students, January-June 1976
- Miscellaneous Conferences and Courses
- “Sex, Love, and Marriage: A Psychological Trip to the Movies,” course to lay adults, New Trier Extension, September-October 1998.
- “Teaching Clinical Interviewing to Medical Students” with Brian Doyle, M.D. and Diane Choate, ACSW, workshop at the Association of American Medical Colleges’ Annual Meeting, New Orleans, 1978
- “Teaching Process in Clinical Interviewing" with Brian Doyle, M.D. and Diane Choate, ACSW, course at the American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, May 1979
- Faculty member and small group leader, Seventh Annual Conference on “The Leadership Role of the Chief Resident,” Terrytown, New York, June 8-10, 1979.
- “Essentials of Couple Therapy” workshops and lectures to The Chinese American Psychoanalytic Alliance, Beijing, China, 10/28/17 and to The Chengdu Psychotherapy Institue, Chengdu, China, 11/2/17.
- “A Roadmap for Couple Therapy: My Personal Journey to a More Effective Model," keynote speech to the annual Luncheon/Colloquium for Supervisors i the Northwestern Counseling Psychology Program, 5/19/17; also at Grand Rounds of the Family Institute at Northwestern, 6/5/2017; also at Northerwestern Dept. of Psychiatry Grand Rounds, 6/14/2017; also to the 8th World Congress of Psychotherapy, UNESCO HQ, Paris, France, 7/26/17.
- “Conflict in Committed Relationships,” Psychiatric Grand Rounds, St. Anthony Hospital, Chicago, IL, 4/26/2017.
- “What Underlies the TV Series, Masters of Sex?” continuing education workshop by Institute for Psychoanalysis, with James Anderson and Christine Sterkel, 4/15/17.
- “Common Couple Types and Some Other Lessons for Psychoanalysts from Couple Therapy” to Institute for Psychoanalysis Research Seminar 4/12/17.
- Couple Therapy Workshop (3 hours) at the Illinois Psychological Association, 4/28/17. “What Makes Marriage Difficult”; “Psychodynamic Couple Therapy”: and “Integrating Systemic, Psychodynamic, and Behavioral Approaches;” again at Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis 10/14/2017; again at Chengdu Psychotherapy Institute; Chengdu, Peoples Republic of China, 11/2/2017.
- “Concepts in Psychoanalytic Couple Therapy” guest lecture to Northwestern Dept. of Psychiatry Psychology fellows, 3/2/2017.
- Daylong workshop with selections from A Roadmap for Couple Therapy, Chicago Center for Family Health, 11/4/16.
- Discussion leader after performance of Sam Shepard’s play, True West, at Chicago’s Shattered Globe Theatre 10/9/16.
- “A Roadmap for Couple Therapy” lecture at the Illinois Psychological Assoc. Annual Meeting; Skokie, IL, 11/6/15; at The Society for the Exploration of Psychotherapy Integration’s Annual Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, 6/17/16; at The Chicago Psychoanalytic Society, 10/25/16; workshop for Family Institute at Northwestern Family Institute Fellows, 3/8/2017; at the annual World Congress of the International Family Therapy Assoc., Malaga, Spain, 3/16/17.
- “Sequencing Interventions in Couple Therapy,” paper at the Annual Meeting of The American Family Therapy Academy, Portland, OR 6/5/15; again at the Annual Meeting of the Society for the Exploration of Psychotherapy Integration, Baltimore, MD, 6/19/15.
- “Building Loving and Lasting Couple Relationships,” day-long opening session at the Chicago Center for Family Health’s International Intensive Training Program, 6/8/15.
- “Key Couple Therapy Ideas for Psychoanalysts” to Wisconsin Psychoanalytic Society, 4/17/15.
- “Why marriage is difficult” to the Chicago Psychoanalytic Society, 3/25/14; again at Lutheran General Hospital Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds, 7/23/14; again to Wisconsin Psychoanalytic Society, 4/18/15.
- “Couple Therapy Integrated with a Focus on Projective Identification” to the Wisconsin Psychoanalytic Society; Madison, WI, 2/8/14.
- Panel: “An Examination of Ethical and Therapy Questions Raised by a Viewing of Episodes of the TV Series, In Treatment.” Sponsored by the Chicago Institute of Psychoanalysis, 5/18/13; 9/6/14.
- “Conflict in Committed Relationships,” Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds, Lutheran General Hospital, 1/23/13.
- Panel: “Sex and the Suburbs: Bridging the Male/Female Divide” Wilmette (IL) Theatre, 11/29/12.
- “Fireside” faculty talk, “How to succeed in marriage” to Northwestern Undergrads in Hinman Residence Hall, 5/3/12.
- “An Integrated Model for Working with Couples” all day workshop, leadoff in series, “The Clinical Treatment of Couples.” Educational Program for Psychologists, Illinois Psychological Association, 1/7/2011
- “Lessons for Individual Therapists from Time Spent Seeing Couples,” lecture at conference, “New Perspectives on the Life Cycle and Psychoanalytic Therapy,” co-sponsored by the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis and Loyola University School of Social Work. 11/6/10.
- “Managing Economic Stress on the Home Front: Lessons from a Psychoanalyst, Couples and Family Therapist.” Lecture to Northwestern alumni at conference, A Day at Northwestern, 4/17/10.
- “Intimacy and Conflict: Practical Suggestions for Single College Students” at conference: “Rethinking Sex: Building Healthy Relationships in a Hook-up World”, Harvard University, 2/6/10. Available at: http://www.loveandfidelity.org/resources/intimacy-romantic-love-and-conflict-practical-suggestions-for-single-college-students
- Formal Discussant of Fredrick Busch, MD’s talk, “Panic-Focused Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: A Clinical Presentation of the Treatment Approach” Chicago Psychoanalytic Society, 10/27/09.
- “Marriage Education and Committed Relationships in Emerging Adults,” to Yellowbrick Series of Professional Seminars, Evanston, IL, 10/5/09.
- “The Therapeutic Alliance as exemplified in the HBO TV series, In Treatment,” interview/lecture recorded on series of psychoanalytic education tapes, “On Good Authority,” 6/17/09.
- Panelist/discussant for mini-conference on the HBO TV series, In Treatment; Institute for Psychoanalysis, 4/18/09; 10/17/09; 11/5/11; 2/22/14
- Formal Discussant of Christopher Lane, PhD’s talk, “How Shyness Became an Illness, and Other Cautionary Tales about the DSM.” Chicago Psychoanalytic Society, 10/23/07.
- “Cinema on the Couch,” film discussion series to the general public, sponsored by The Institute for Psychoanalysis, the Winnetka Community House: Fall 2005 (“Marital Relationships in Midlife”); Spring 2006 (“Adult Children and their Parents”). Fall 2006 through Winter 2007 (“Relations Among Family Members”). Fall 2007 (“The Outsider,” film: “My First Mister”). Fall 2008 (“Passion,” film, “Big Night.); Fall 2009 (“Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead”); Fall 2011 (“Certified Copy”); Fall 2012 (“Master Harold and the Boys”).
- “Strategies to reduce stress,” interview by Dick Johnson, anchor, of WMAQ-NBC TV, 5/5/06.
- “Fireside” talk on marriage and the musical, “The Last Five Years”, Northwestern U. residential college, Willard, 2/23/05.
- Lecture/discussion leader, “An Epistemology for Everyday Psychoanalysis.” Annual Meeting of The American Psychoanalytic Association, New York City, 1/19/05; also at Chicago Psychoanalytic Society, 1/24/06.
- Guest presenter, “Marriage 101: How a psychoanalyst came to teach a marriage education course and what we know about healthy marriages.” Illinois School of Professional Psychology, 6/6/04.
- Lecture, discussion leader: “Dinner with Friends: Marital Issues.” Institute for Psychoanalysis Film Series, 5/19/04.
- Presentation, “Marriage 101: University Based Pre-Marital Education” at annual Smart Marriages Conferences: Reno, Nevada, 1/29/03; Dallas, Texas, 7/10/04; Dallas, Texas, 6/25/05; Atlanta, GA, 6/23/06; Denver, CO, 7/1/07 (also Moderator of Panel); San Francisco, CA, 7/5/08 (also Moderator of Panel); Orlando, FL, 7/11/09 (also Moderator of Panel); Orlando, FL, 7/11/10 (also Moderator of Panel).
- Lecture, discussion leader: “Lantana: Marital Problems in Mid-Life.” Institute for Psychoanalysis Film Series, 6/3/03.
- Lecture, “Couples Therapy & Marriage: Lessons from 25 Years in the Trenches,” to annual meeting of Assoc. of Child & Adolescent Psychotherapists, 3/2/03. Also to Filmore (Chicago) Community Mental Health Center, 7/18/03; Northwestern Dept. Psychiatry Grand Rounds, 12/10/03; Alumni Adult Psychotherapy Program of The Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis, 5/16/06.
- Guest discussant on WTTW TV show, “Chicago Tonight” discussing new book “Sex, Love, and Health” published by U. of Chicago Press. 5/7/01.
- Formal Discussant of Barbara Fajardo's paper, “Developmental continuities from birth to three years: Perspectives from a psychoanalytic research study,” to The Chicago Psychoanalytic Society, 5/26/98.
- Lecture, panel discussion to the Chicago Bar Association, “Stress and Lawyers: How to Cope with Paranoid People,” 12/2/97.
- Moderator and formal discussant, workshop on paper by M. Livingston, “Harvest of Fire: Twinship and Fundamental Conflict in Group Process” at 20th Annual International Conference on The Psychology of The Self; Chicago, 11/15/97.
- Lecture, “Stress and Trial Lawyers” to Markey-Wigmore Inn of Court; Chicago, 9/30/97.
- Lecture, panel discussion to the Young Lawyers Section of the Chicago Bar Association Regional Meeting, “Difficult Clients and Colleagues: The Paranoid Personality,” 9/12/97.
- Lecture, panel discussion to the Chicago Bar Association, “Loss and Mourning During Divorce: Thoughts on Why Breaking Up is So Hard to Do,” 5/8/97.
- “Long Day's Journey into Night: Some Psychoanalytic Thoughts on the Play” to the audience following the performance, 2/28/96.
- “Suicide and Suicidal Thinking During Divorce” to The Matrimonial Lawyers Committee of the Chicago Bar Association, 2/14/96.
- “Thoughts on the Winnetka Schools by a Graduate” to Hubbard Woods School PTA "Fireside Chat", 10/10/95.
- Lecture, panel discussion to the Young Lawyer's Section of the Chicago Bar Association, “Anxiety and the Law: Some Not So Obvious Links Between Work and Family,” 3/1/95.
- Formal Discussant of Robert Wallerstein's paper, “Psychotherapy Research and Its Implications for a Theory of Therapeutic Change: Forty-Year Overview,” to The Chicago Psychoanalytic Society, 10/25/94.
- “Projective Identification Revisited” lecture to The Chicago Psychoanalytic Society, 1/25/94.
- “When is it time to stop blaming our parents?” presentation and workshop at the Harris Bank 8th Family Conference, San Francisco, 10/23/93.
- “Psychiatry and Dentistry” lecture to 3rd year Northwestern Dental Students: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986.
- “Mental Health Education in the Area of Chronic Mental Illness” presentation at Thresholds, Inc., Chicago, 3/15/83.
- “Consultation/Liaison Educational Issues”, Moderator and Discussant of Paper Session at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, Chicago, 11/21/82.
- “How to Seek Psychiatric Help” WIND Talk Show (“Matters on the Mind”) guest, 7/26/82.
- “Martial Conflict: An Integrated Model” discussant of Northwestern Grand Rounds presentation by Larry Feldman, M.D., 5/14/80.
- “Treatment of Chronic Patients: Can Residency Education Stimulate Interest?” Issues Workshop; moderator, organizer, and panelist, American Psychiatric Association annual meeting, San Francisco, 5/7/80.
- “Recruitment 1980: Why So Little Love For Our Work,” Issues Workshop, panelist, American Psychiatric Association annual meeting, San Francisco, 5/6/80.
- “How to Write Federal Education Grants,” panelist, American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training annual meeting, New Orleans, 1/19/80.
- “Alcoholism and the Family” and “Family Therapy of Alcoholism” workshops to Montgomery County Mental Health Professionals, November 15, December 6, 13, 1979.
- “The Recruitment Problem in Child Psychiatry” panelist, Academy of Child Psychiatry annual meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, 10/26/79.
- “The Impact of Popular Conceptions about Psychiatry on the Profession,” Grand Rounds lecture, University of Missouri - Columbia, Department of Psychiatry, 10/10/79.
- “Federal Support for Psychiatric Education” panel with other NIMH staff, APA Annual Meeting, Chicago, May 1979.
- “Psychiatry as a Career” lecture and discussion to seniors at Perry High School, Montgomery County Schools, May 1978, May 1979.
- “An Evening with the Psychiatry Education Branch” small group discussion at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Atlanta, Georgia, May 1978.
- “Psychoanalytic and Gestalt Therapies: Rapprochement” paper read at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Atlanta, Georgia, May 1978; at grand rounds, George Washington University Department of Psychiatry, 12/12/79; at Michael Reese Hospital Guest Lecture Series, 6/2/81; and at Northwestern Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds 12/16/81
- “Personality Disorders” lecture to 2nd year George Washington medical student class, October 1977.
- “Truancy and the Family” paper read at the VIth World Congress of Social Psychiatry, Opatija, Yugoslavia, October 1976.
- “Depression in Medical Outpatients” presentation to 4th year medical student class, Johns Hopkins, January 1972.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2017). Psychodynamic couple therapy: A practical synthesis. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 43, 685-699. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/doi/10.1111/jmft.12236.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2017). From Couple Therapy 1.0 to a comprehensive model: A roadmap for sequencing and integrating systemic, psychodynamic, and behavioral approaches. Family Process, 56, 540-557. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/famp.12300/full.
- Nielsen, A. C. (in press). Projective identification in couples. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2017). Psychodynamic couple therapy. The Encyclopedia of Couple and Family Therapy, in press. http://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-319-15877-8_19-1.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2017). Projective identification in Couple Therapy. The Encyclopedia of Couple and Family Therapy. http://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-319-15877-8_18-1.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2017). From Couple Therapy 1.0 to an integrated model: My personal journey. The Integrative Therapist, 3, 14-15.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2016). A roadmap for couple therapy: Integrating systemic, psychodynamic, and behavioral approaches. New York: Routledge.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2013). Book review: The secrets of surviving infidelity by Scott Haltzman, MD. Clinical Psychiatry News, 41, 13-14, also published online 7/10/13.
- Nielsen, A. C., Pinsof, W., Rampage, C., Solomon, A., Goldstein, S. (2004).“Marriage 101: An integrated academic and experiential undergraduate marriage education. Family Relations, 53, 485-494.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2005). Couples therapy and the psychoanalyst. The Analytic Observer. Spring 2005, 3-5.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2003). Family systems and the psychoanalyst. The American Psychoanalyst 37, 10,12.
- Nielsen, A. C. (2002). Certification: Obsessional defense and external boundary problems. The American Psychoanalyst 36, 20-21.
- Graller, J., Nielsen, A.C., Garber, B., Davison, L. G., Gable, L. & Seidenberg, H. (2001). Concurrent therapies: A model for collaboration between psychoanalysts and other therapists. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association., 49, 587-606.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1999). Why the American should stop certifying. The American Psychoanalyst 33, 27&29.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1997). The lawyer who could not speak in public. Chicago Bar Association Record, June-July, p. .38.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1996). Book Review: Comparing Schools of Analytic Therapy, ed. by Peter Buirski. American Journal of Psychiatry, 153, 6-7.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1995). Book Review: Retelling a Life: Narration and Dialogue in Psychoanalysis, by Roy Schafer, Psychoanalytic Psychology, 12, 603-606; also published in the (Chicago) Institute for Psychoanalysis Bulletin, 4, 7,11-12,14 (1994).
- Nielsen, A. C.. (1995). Anxiety and the family. Chicago Bar Association Record, June-July, pp.38-43.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1994). Book Review: Psychoanalytic Counseling: Ideas From Psychoanalytic Thought...Translated For Counselors, by Michael J. Patton and Naomi M. Meara. American Journal of Psychiatry, 151, 771-772.
- Nielsen, A.C. (1988). My six years on the couch, letter to the editor on this article. New York Times Sunday Magazine, 1/17/88, p. 8.
- Yager, J., Lamotte, K., Nielsen, A., Eaton, J. (1983). A Medical Student’s View of Psychiatry, reply to a letter by L. Eichenstein. American Journal of Psychiatry, 140, 653-654.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1982). Psychiatric recruitment, reply to a letter by M. Crowder. Psychosomatics, 23, 562-563.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1982). Psychiatric role models for medical students, reply to a letter by G. Leong. Psychosomatics, 23, 206.
- Yager, J., Lamotte, K., Nielsen, A., Eaton, J. (1982). Medical students’ evaluation of psychiatry: A cross-country comparison. American Journal of Psychiatry, 139, 1003-1009.
- Nielsen, A. C., Stein, L.I., Talbott, J. A., Lamb, H. R., Osser, D. N., Glazer, W. M. (1981). Encouraging psychiatrists to work with chronic mental patients: The opportunities and limitations of residency education. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 32, 767-775.
- Nielsen, A. C., Eaton, J. S. (1981). Medical students' attitudes about psychiatry: Implications for psychiatric recruitment. Archives of General Psychiatry, 38, 1144-1154.
- Taintor, Z., Nielsen, A. C. (1981). The extent of the problem: A review of the data concerning the declining choice of psychiatric careers." Journal of Psychiatric Education, 5:63-87.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1981). Psychiatric recruitment: Why they like us but don’t join us. Psychosomatics, 22, 343-348.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1980). The importance of medical student psychiatric education.” letter to the editor in response to Voikinos. American Journal of Psychiatry, 137, 1624-1625.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1980). Gestalt and psychoanalytic therapies: Structural analysis and rapprochement. American Journal of Psychotherapy, 19, 534-544.
- Nielsen, A. C., Williams, T. A. (1980). Depression in ambulatory medical patients: Prevalence by self-report questionnaire and recognition by non-psychiatric physicians. Archives of General Psychiatry, 37, 999-1004.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1980). Questioning the efficacy of drugs and psychotherapy in the treatment of acute depressive episodes, letter to the editor American Journal of Psychiatry, 137, 381-382.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1980). Choosing psychiatry: The importance of psychiatric education in medical school. American Journal of Psychiatry, 137, 428-431.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1979). Targeted funding of mental health education grants: Conceptual issues and proposals.” National Institute of Mental Health, position paper, October, 1979.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1979). The declining choice of psychiatric careers: A closer look. Association for Academic
- Nielsen, A. C. (1979). The magnitude of declining psychiatric career choice. Journal of Medical Education, 54, 632-637.
- Nielsen, A. C., Gerber, D. (1979). Psychosocial aspects of truancy in early adolescence. Adolescence, 54, 632-637.
- Nielsen, A. C. (1968). The Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s. Harvard Honors Thesis (summa cum laude), Widener Library, Harvard University.